What Is Going On

Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not obsess. Just breathe & have faith that all will work out for the best.


Once I was taken back into triage, the usual hospital stuff took place.  An IV was put in, my stats were taken, and a blood pressure reducing drug was administered immediately.  Side note, I can’t swallow pills; I have a bit of a phobia – afraid of choking.  Even though I had told them this, they brought me a big ‘ol pill.  When they realized I couldn’t swallow the pill, it was a feat to figure out exactly how I was going to get the medicine. It was a gel capsule. They finally decided to just squeeze the liquid out of the capsule and into my mouth. It wasn’t the way the medicine was intended to be used but it needed to be done.

About 10 minutes later my blood pressure had dropped significantly and a headache was beginning to take over. The OB who had sent me to triage came by and ordered some blood work and a urine sample to ensure I wasn’t leaking protein. He still insisted he wasn’t sure it was, rather hoped it wasn’t, pre-eclampsia but that they were going to continue to monitor me and my BP overnight.

I was terrified and stressed.  I had things I had to do and places I needed to go!  This whole problem really threw us for a loop.  Even worse and weighing heavily on my heart was that I still didn’t know what was wrong with my baby!  That was the point of the whole trip!

Roughly 30 minutes later the nurses came back in and my BP was slowly starting to creep back up. They started me on a low dose BP beta blocker medicine in hopes it would bring it down and keep it down.

The OB came back and visited me before he left for the weekend to let me know my blood results were great and that at this point he wasn’t convinced it was pre-eclampsia. He still insisted that I needed to stay a night,maybe two, to make sure my BP came down and stayed down. He made sure I understood that if I was released in a day or two, I was not allowed to travel for Thanksgiving except to go back home to Louisiana and that I was not going to be allowed to work until the birth of the baby. He also wanted to do a 24-hour urine collection just to cover everything and get a bigger picture of what’s going on, if anything, in my urine.

This brought my spirits up a bit.  I’d be going home in a day or two – no problem.  I could do this.  I had no dietary restrictions while I was there and my animals were being taken care of as it was already scheduled since I was supposed to be gone for Thanksgiving. 

Overnight they had to increase my BP medicine as it was still high. I tried to keep my spirits up. It didn’t matter how much medicine I had to take, as long as my bp was controlled with it, I’d be able to go home. I just had to find a way for my body to be controlled by it — something I clearly had no control over. The only thing really keeping me happy and calm was this wonderful little belt they had strapped to my belly allowing me to hear my baby girl’s heartbeat continuously. Other than that, I could not shake this horribly painful headache. It was so awful that it made me cry. Nothing helped get rid of it. It was okay though, because I needed to get home…I was going to go home in a day or two.


Published by Lisa

I'm a research chemist who lives in Louisiana. I travel as much as I can and love doing so (especially Disney, it's my jam). I live with my husband of 3 years, my 3 furbabies, and was a mom to a beautiful baby girl, Adriana Sophia, for 12 days until her passing

%d bloggers like this: